1958 Porsche 356 Speedster
Max RPM: 7,200
Curb Weight: 1,800 lbs
The Porsche 356 Speedster was the lower cost, open top version of the early 356. Designed mainly for weekend racing, the Speedster was equipped with a lower raked windscreen that could be removed. The car sold very well in America and was a popular choice for people looking for a car to daily drive during the week, race on the weekends and drive back home with no problems.
Since the car was delivered to its original owner, G. Nagle Bridwell, in 1958, the car has seen four subsequent owners, countless hours on the racetrack and multiple liveries. All owners of the car lived and raced here on the East Coast, so the car saw plenty of time at Lime Rock and Thompson Motor Speedway in Connecticut, and Bridgehampton in New York before that track was closed. This is a pure example of a 356 Speedster used by multiple owners throughout the years as Porsche originally intended.
Work started on the final restoration of this car in 2004. Though the car has a seemingly whopping 120 horsepower (twice as much offered in 1958) and weighs in at about 1800 lbs., this Speedster has retired from its racing career. With so much documented history and a certificate of authenticity from Porsche, this is a very illustrious example of an early Porsche road-racer.
Did you know?
Porsche contracted Reutter to build the steel bodied 356 early on. Though Porsche later bought the company in 1963, Reutter kept ownership of their seat manufacturing side of the business, and changed their name to ‘Recaro.’