1947 Ford Half-Ton Pickup
Engine: Flathead V8
Displacement: 221 cu in/ 3.6L
Horsepower: 85 hp at 3500 RPM
Torque: 250 lb ft at 3000 RPM
Transmission: 4-speed manual
A Little History
Ford’s cab-over-engine models returned to the lineup in 1946, and were joined by some heavier-duty two-ton models. These “Ford Heavies” featured reinforced frames, two-speed rear axles, heavier-duty springs, and larger tires. In the post-World War II era, Ford Motor Company was a company in transition. Henry Ford stepped down in 1945 and was succeeded by his grandson Henry Ford II. The company had been on unsteady financial footing before the war, and it would be challenging to turn it around successfully.
Once the War Production Board permitted automobile companies to produce more vehicles for the civilian market, Ford took this cue to boost production of its heavy-duty trucks, which were introduced in May of that year.
While competitors Chevrolet and Dodge were slow to adopt integrated fenders and headlights, Ford did so in a single sweep. The new truck cab had full width fenders with lights embedded in the catwalk area between the fenders and grille. The grille itself was a waterfall design which was painted in a contrasting color.
The truck on view underwent a full frame-off restoration in 2012, with a new Village Green exterior, tan grille and hood trim, and an oak bed floor.