1941 Vanderbilt Cadillac
Configuration: front engine, rear wheel drive
Displacement: 5.7 L
Horsepower: 150 hp
Torque: 283 lb-ft
Transmission: 3 Manual Selective Synchromesh , 4 Automatic Hydra-Matic
A Little History
This 1941 Cadillac originally belonged to Gladys Vanderbilt Széchenyi the daughter of Cornelius Vanderbilt II. The lineage of this Cadillac could be traced back through countless family outings but most significantly it was used during Countess Szapary’s wedding in 1949.
The Design: Cadillac’s full sized V8 cars spanning six decades were the Series 70 and Series 75 models. For 1941, the Series 75 was available as a sedan, imperial touring sedan, and a formal sedan body. There were a variety of body configurations from which to select and all wore Fleetwood nomenclature. Fleetwood was the in-house coachbuilder for Cadillac. This Fleetwood Series 75 Touring Imperial was a hand-crafted limousine built in the Cadillac tradition.
Did You Know?
- In 1952 the car found its resting spot in the barn of The Breakers where it remained untouched for 64 years until its resurrection in 2016.
- Three years after the wedding the car received its last oil change and has not been driven more than two miles since then.