Silver Ghost Piccadilly Roadster
Engine: Straight 6 cylinder
Displacement: 7.0 Liters
Horsepower: 80 hp at 2,250 RPM
Transmission: 4-speed manual
One hundred and five examples were produced with the Piccadilly Roadster coachwork for the Silver Ghost; most were re-bodying of older rolling chassis, making “original coachwork” Piccadillys rare and highly desirable today. Distinguished by its British geographic name, the roadster was dubbed the Piccadilly after the London traffic circle that surrounds the statue of Eros.
Rolls-Royce had its own coachworks on Waltham Avenue in Springfield Massachusetts, but most of the bodies were subcontracted to other coachmakers who delivered the bodies to Waltham Avenue ‘in the white’ — meaning that they were primed but unpainted, and without interior or the top canvas. Waltham Avenue would finish them to suit the customer’s order.
The color scheme of this car — maroon body, black fenders and trim, and black top and seats — was a very popular color scheme. This Piccadilly was built by the Massachusetts bodymaker Merrimac, who built most of the roadster and tourer “Springfield Ghost” open bodies.
This example was delivered to its first owner, B.M. Taylor of Boston, on January 17th, 1924. Subsequent owners were Mrs. Louisa F. Connelly, Peter Knoefel, and a Mrs. Wagner. In 1939 the Rolls was purchased by Boris Lakusta, of San Rafael, who would drive it in the California deserts for over 30 years. It was then acquired by longtime Pebble Beach Concours co-chairman Lorin Tryon, who in 1983 sold it to Bill Dobson. Mr. Dobson, in turn, passed the car to dedicated Rolls-Royce collector, Pebble Beach judge, and friend to many, Dr. James Stickley, in 1989.
Well-known craftsmen Abe Guise, Rick Hamlin, and the late Mike Standifer completed a full restoration of the car. The car remained largely original and intact, aside from smaller wheels and a cut-down windshield, both of which were reversed to the original specifications. Fresh out of its restoration, it was exhibited at the 2003 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance, winning 3rd in Class.
This car retains its original Chassis No. 367XH, Engine No. 21-192, and Body No. M585.