1951 Ferrari 212
Engine: Colombo V12, single Weber 36DCF carburetor
Displacement: 2,562 cu in/2.6L
Horsepower: 150 bhp at 6,500 rpm
Transmission: Colotti Trasmissioni 5-speed manual gearbox
A Little History
The Ferrari 212 Inter replaced Ferrari’s successful 166 and 195 Inter grand tourers in 1951. The 212 was an evolution of the 166 — a sports car for the road that could also win international races. By 1951, Ferrari had established its reputation in the racing world, but Enzo Ferrari believed there would be a bigger market for his Gran Turismo, for the gentleman keen on showing up behind the wheel of a fast, sporty road car. At the Paris Auto Show in October 1951, Ferrari introduced the 212 Inter, a refined Gran Turismo (GT).
The 212 featured a 2,600 mm wheelbase and a 2.5-liter SOHC V-12 engine fed by a single 36 DCF Weber carburetor to achieve greater torque and drivability in traffic. The British magazine Autocar got hold of what they described as the first production model Ferrari 212 in 1950, which outperformed any GT car that they had previously tested. The 212 was available as a coupe and spider, finished by different coachbuilders. A total of 82 cars were built in the series – the coachwork for this example was by Vignale.
World class restoration overseen by Bruce Canepa with paint by Perfect Reflections, and engine rebuilt by Ferrari specialist Patrick Ottis. Documented by Marcel Massini, author of Ferrari by Vignale. The Audrain Automobile Museum recently acquired this car for the Collection, and plan to run it in Italy in the 2018 Mille Miglia historic rally.
Retains its original matching-numbers chassis #0175 E and engine #0175 E per the original Ferrari build sheet.